Maydel (rhymes with “ladle”) is a new needlework shop that makes crafting more inclusive by eliminating hurdles to finding supplies and completing projects. In addition to offering supplies that meet a wide variety of accessibility needs for crafters with metal allergies, light sensitivities, vision and fine motor limitations, and more, Maydel’s by-the-piece pricing and customizable project bundles ensure that crafters get exactly what they want at the lowest possible cost from a fully vetted list of sustainable, ethical manufacturers.
Read more about our commitment to inclusion & accessibility.
Read more about our commitment to sustainability.
• Maydel is the only online retailer that keeps every color of DMC floss in stock. Always. (Our Quick Search also helps you find colors lightning-fast.)
• Maydel is the only online retailer that sells fabric by the square inch. No wasting material or money.
• Maydel’s carbon footprint is very small, and we offset more than we produce via our partners at Tradewater.
• Our packaging is 100% recycled, curbside recyclable, and compostable.
• We donate 1% of our revenue (not profits) to environmental justice projects in Chicago.
• We reinvest another 1% of our revenue in underfunded Chicago entrepreneurs.
About the Founder
Maydel was founded by Lauren Venell, a 20-year veteran crafter, teacher, and designer. After recovering from a too-long stint in Silicon Valley she is thrilled to be back within her chosen community and to be building something meaningful within the great city of Chicago.